How to File Your Federal Taxes for Free Online

Just 4 days left until the deadline for having filed your taxes.

There are many options for filing your taxes for free:

  1. File for free through the IRS' own FreeFile if you met the criteria for eligibility. If your adjusted gross income is $56,000 or less, you qualify for free tax preparation and electronic filing.
  2. Filing form 1040EZ or other simple returns? Then TurboTax Free Edition is worth looking into. The free version does not offer the ability to download your tax information from the "over 100,000 participating employers and financial institutions nor does it import your information from the previous year (provided you had a previous year's filing done with TurboTax). But those are small hassles to overcome in order to get a free federal filing.
  3. TaxAct Online 2008 Standard is yet another option for those filing simple returns and forms 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040 and even Schedule C business income and expenses. TaxAct also claims to have "one of the lowest priced state returns." It appears to have more features than does TurboTax Free.
  4. For those that qualify, FreeTaxUSA also offers free filing. You have to live in "AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, UT, VA, or WV" plus your adjusted gross income must be $56,000 or less.
All those above apply only to Federal filings. All of the above seem to offer some sort of accuracy guarantee, but make sure to read the fine print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.